Home insulation is a complex task – from installation to repair, and experts are needed for this type of job. Insulation makes your life and house comfortable. It keeps you warm in winter while keeping you cool in summer. You may not notice it, but it is a crucial aspect of home maintenance as it maximizes comfortability and minimizes utility use and expenses. If your house needs installation or repair, consider hiring a professional company service like the Wichita Falls Insulation if you are in Texas.
While it is good that you let your contractor do all the tasks, from plan to action, it is also better to educate yourself on the basics of insulation and the aspects of the project. In this way, you can throw essential questions before hiring a potential contractor.
The following are the things you need to know before hiring a potential contractor
1. Find a reputable insulation contractor who knows what he is doing
The components of your house include the foundation, windows, roofs, flooring, insulation and ventilation. Your contractor should be able to complete the project without causing damages to your home. A reputable contractor should be able to have a diagnostic test and advice for a tandem work with ventilation to ensure the project’s success.
2. What are their ventilation and vapor barrier plan?
Anyone can just put or install cellulose or foam and call it a day, but it is more than that. The difficult part is to make sure that the ventilation calculations and vapor barriers are done correctly.
3. Are they licensed and insured?
Avoid, by all means, contractors who hesitate to present you with a license and insurance. Reputable contractors know that the damage they might cause is not your responsibility.
4. What are the materials that they use?
Good contractors are expected to be experienced contractors. They should be knowledgeable about the process and the material they use. For instance, they should know the difference between closed-cell spray foam and open cell insulation, or how to install and what materials are good for vinyl siding and brick siding.
There are four common types of materials for insulation:
- Fiberglass insulation – made from fibers that can be irritative to your lungs. It is inexpensive and easier to install
- Spray foam insulation – effective to apply in existing walls
- Cellulose insulation – organic, loose-fill material made of recycled paper.
- Mineral Wool insulation – like the fiberglass but more expensive, and can withstand higher temperature
5. What are the types of insulation products do they offer?
Most companies offer you different types of products and can discuss with you the pros and cons of each of these types. The best company can diagnose and asses what your house needs and recommend the best option.
6. Do they have references who are well-satisfied with their service?
Reputable contractors are confident with their service and will provide references you can talk to. This shows that they do not hide anything from you.
You also need to hire a local company that better understands the type of climate you have in your area. The right experts will help you get the most benefits of insulation in your home.